Thursday, October 26

sometimes when I open my mouth

  Margot Leadbetter from 'The Good Life' leaps out.




Last night, walking past my local trendy burger establishment, I looked in the open hatch where boxes of food are passed out to the delivery bikes and stood transfixed as a hip young man poured gloopy yellow cheese sauce onto chips then sprinkled gherkins and jalapenos all over it - this was what I wanted for supper - I went in and stood in the queue.

A whole vocabulary has sprung up around this particular sort of food place that I find off-putting - calling shredded meat 'pulled' doesn't make it any less horrible. The other popular word  is 'dirty' which I assumed meant putting 'pulled' meat or gravy on top. Standing in line in this hipster burger bar I read on the menus that they were offering 'dirty' burgers' and all kinds of other 'dirty' stuff. As I got to the front of the queue, I noticed the slogan emblazoned on all the take-away boxes announced 'Shakes, Dirty burgers, Dirty Chips'. Feeling the need for clarification I asked the man in the backwards baseball hat what they meant by 'dirty' 

it's like, unhealthy stuff

why aren't your shakes dirty? 

That wouldn't sound good

12 comments:

  1. Are they still saying 'It's like..', when they mean 'it is'? Surely this is like, dated now?
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile... Dirty Shakes could be a new dance trend.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe turn it around to be a money maker! Consider it field work for Lulu's Complete Hipster Lexicon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was thinking of getting the next door pitch to sell 'Dirty Shakes' I spot a gap in the market

      Delete
  4. All I know about is Dirty Rice! LOL xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dirt is curated, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'crying with laughter face' (wish I knew how to do emoticons)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. ... thank the Lord I'm finally on trend xxx

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails